Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Excuse me?

Dallas Morning News columnist, William McKenzie, has a column in this morning's paper that definitely rankles. One paragraph in particular:
My wife and I took our kids to the Fort Worth Stock Show back in January, where the matinee turned out to be a Mexican rodeo. For 90 minutes, we watched charros, vaqueros and one wild bareback event. To my surprise, the grand entry included the audience singing the U.S. and Mexican national anthems. As a kid growing up in Fort Worth, I saw many grand entries, but never one like that.
I beg your pardon? Singing the Mexican National anthem at an AMERICAN event? I don't think so! Do the Mexicans sing the U.S. anthem in their cities?
Since Latinos account for 75 percent of Texas' growth over the last five years, they belong front and center in any new mythology. Hispanic growth rates are such that Texas' story today is closer to what was happening in 1824 than in 1954.
Yes, there are a LOT more Hispanics in Texas now than there were when I left 8 years ago, and a LARGE chunk of those are illegal. It would be nice if someone would remember that Texas fought for, and won it's independence from Mexico in 1836. It is NOT part of Mexico, it was annexed by the United States in 1845.
Anglos still run things, but the situation is changing. Our history is circling back to Texas' earliest days, and we'd better know how to deal with it.
How about we deal with it by enforcing the laws of THIS land, and deport illegals? What a novel concept! No, I am not a bigot, a racist, or anything other type of "label". I'm an American who enjoys the Mexican culture... in Mexico! However, this is the United States of America, we speak English, we obey the law (well, most of us do), and we're a "melting pot", NOT a salad!