Thursday, May 25, 2006

A Letter to the Editor

Last week, I had a piece printed in the Fond du Lac Reporter. I wasn't happy with the end project, because I had to cut a lot out to have it accepted. This is the letter:
My definition of "conservative" may be unique. However, I think all conservatives have some common ground. We do not blindly parrot the party line, unlike the Left. We are all individuals, w ith a common ground that covers many topics. First and foremost, we believe in life! That abortion has become commonplace in society does not make it right. A woman's comes nine months before; every acction has consequences. Yes, rape and incest are terrible, but they're not the innocent child' fault. We supposrt the right to defend one's home, family, property and life. Not being able to do so is ridiculous. Why can't liberal understand our desire for guns and concealed carry laws, the means for that protection? I'm sure, if given the circumstances, they'd be just as llikely to protect their families. We do not blindly follow our "leaders". We see a need for change, and work for that change, whether in the public or private sectors. We do not advocate violence. YOu did not read about us slashing tires, throwing rocks through windows, or keying cars of those who disagree with us. We believe in the sanctity of the family; one woman, one man. This shouldn't be too difficult to understand, since one of each is needed to make children. Why this concept has become "extreme" these days boggles the mind. We look to logic for our answers, not emotion. We do have emotions, however, and care deeply about those less fortunate. However, we'll give them a "hand up", not a hand out built on throwing money at problems! After all, "Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll eat for a lifetime."
This was the response I saw in the paper today: Was conservative letter writer joking?
Was last Friday's letter "dissing" liberals supposed to be a joke? Considering the level of ignorance expressed, the writer couldn't be serious. Most unintentionally funny line was the claim conservatives don't blindly follow leaders. Julie
I was quite serious, but am able to see a joke when it's actually there. I have a really good sense of humor. The use of the word "dissing" tells me a great deal about the writer of the response letter. It's also obvious to me she doesn't know many conservatives! It just sounds like her "parroting" others. Luckily, I do not feel insulted. I find her short rant rather amusing! :)