Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Canada's PM

Canada's Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, doesn't believe that Israel intentionally targeted the UN post on the Lebanese/Israeli border. Well, neither do I.
Canada's Prime Minister Stephen Harper said an Israeli attack on a UN outpost that killed four, including a Canadian, was a "terrible tragedy" but not likely deliberate.
Not that anyone is really going to worry about what I think, I'm wondering after all the "hostilities" started, why didn't the UN folks vamoose? Isn't that what they usually do when the shooting starts?
"Our government fully intends to investigate the circumstances that led to this tragic incident. I have asked our military to investigate and work in conjunction with the government of Israel and the United Nations to determine what occurred."
I'd trust the governments of Canada and Israel to do the investigating, before I'd trust any UN official. Although, the UN says it's going to do it's own investigation, I can just imagine that they'll be pointing fingers at the Israeli no matter what turns up. When I heard about this, all I could think was either Hezbollah was using the UN site as a cover, or something went haywire with the guidance on the missile. Then I came across this on lgf:
Retired Canadian Major General Lewis Mackenzie was interviewed on CBC radio, and had some very interesting news about the UN observer post hit by Israeli shells; the Canadian peacekeeper killed there had previously emailed Mackenzie telling him that Hizballah was using their post as cover.
We received emails from him a few days ago, and he was describing the fact that he was taking fire within, in one case, three meters of his position for tactical necessity, not being targeted. Now that'’s veiled speech in the military. What he was telling us was Hezbollah soldiers were all over his position and the IDF were targeting them. And that'’s a favorite trick by people who don'’t have representation in the UN. They use the UN as shields knowing that they can'’t be punished for it.
Kofi Annan will do what he always does, deny any knowledge. Well, I could make a snide comment about that, but I'll refrain.