Friday, July 28, 2006

SNAFU

The Republicans are tying the federal minimum wage increase to the "death tax"? What does one have to do with the other? Put me in charge! No bill would have anything "attached" to it that has nothing to do with what the original bill addresses. I've always thought that was a ridiculous practice, and proves the need for the "line item veto". What really chaps my hide is this:
Inflation has eroded the minimum wage's buying power to the lowest level in about 50 years. Yet lawmakers have won cost-of-living wage increases totaling about $35,000 for themselves over that time. Lawmakers fear being pounded with 30-second campaign ads over the August recess that would tie Congress' upcoming $3,300 pay increase with Republicans' refusal to raise the minimum wage.
Excuse me? Show me ONE elected official in Washington that NEEDS a cost of living wage increase!