Monday, August 28, 2006

Response from Ole

Recently, I have been having a "dialog" about a post I made on 8/1, Letter about Teaching. Ole sent me her response to this "dialog":
Hi, Kate: Jim printed your blog in which you aired my recent editorial on education. The comments were amusing, but I would like to inform those who say my union gave me my retirement and benefits: when I retired in 1985, my salary was probably less than half of what the salaries are now, and that's what my retirement is based on. Since then salaries have gone up and up and up, and that wouldn't be so bad, except that the quality of education has gone down and down and down. I remember that the union rep. used to come around at contract time, and urge us to demand a higher settlement each time. Once I said, "But couldn't we just take a breather for three years and be satisfied with what we have and give the taxpayers a break?" " Oh, heavens, no! Then we would never be able to get more! " was the answer.. The mindset was in, and so it went. Love, Ole
I think she addressed the issue rather well, don't you? :)