Sunday, August 27, 2006

You Might Be a Redneck If......

....you live in a small town? I don't normally watch Belling & Co. Typically, I don't even listen to his radio show after his monologues (which are usually terrific) unless there's a baseball game on KFIZ and Sean Hannity is pre-empted. I find his manner towards the majority of his callers beyond rude and obnoxious. This morning, I happened to catch his show and was a bit appalled when I heard him refer to the mayor of Arcadia, John Kimmel, as showing a bit of "redneckism" because he wants to actually enforce the law. I take issue with this, in a big way. I live in a small town, as do many other people in Wisconsin, and we are not all "rednecks", or even show a tendency of "redneckisms". Being from Texas, I'm sure a lot of people up here think I'm a redneck, by default. That may be true, if you consider American and Proud of it's definition:
You might be a redneck if: It never occurred to you to be offended by the phrase, "One nation, under God." You might be a redneck if: You've never protested about seeing the 10 Commandments posted in public places. You might be a redneck if: You still say "Christmas" instead of "Winter Festival." You might be a redneck if: You bow your head when someone prays. You might be a redneck if: You stand and place your hand over your heart when they play the National Anthem. You might be a redneck if: You treat Viet Nam vets with great respect, and always have. You might be a redneck if: You've never burned an American flag. You might be a redneck if: You know what you believe and you aren't afraid to say so, no matter who is listening. You might be a redneck if: You respect your elders and expect your kids to do the same. You might be a redneck if: You'd give your last dollar to a friend. I'd add - You might be a redneck if: You believe in enforcing the laws of the land.