Saturday, October 14, 2006

Same Story, Yet Quite Different

I'm snooping the news sites this morning, naturally. So of course, I check out FoxNew.com. I found this: Teen Questioned Over Online Threats Against President Bush Since this occurred in Sacramento, I thought the Sac Bee would have the story as well. I was right. U.S. agents question teen Girl ran anti-Bush page on MySpace Right off the bat, I could see a major difference. "Online threats" sounds a lot more serious than an "anti-Bush page". So, I read on.
Fox: She posted a picture of the president, scrawled "Kill Bush" across the top and drew a dagger stabbing his outstretched hand.
Bee: Beneath the words "Kill Bush," Julia posted a cartoonish photo-collage of a knife stabbing the hand of the president.
Basically the same information, yet extremely different. The Fox take doesn't say anything about being "cartoonish" which makes it sound quite innocent.
Fox: "They yelled at me a lot," she said. "They were unnecessarily mean." Bee: "I told them I just really don't agree with Bush's politics," Julia said Thursday. "I don't have any plans of harming Bush in any way. I'm very peaceful; I just don't like Bush."
So, what we have here is a 14 year old girl, who is making her opinion known by posting on MySpace. Where is she learning her "opinion" was my first question. But what I found interesting is the same story, written in two completely different ways. We see this a lot in all forms of media. So, was the kid terrorized by the big bad secret service agents, or was she just questioned? I honestly don't know!