Monday, October 16, 2006

That Explains It?

I don't buy it, although it would explain why I'm dumb as a box of rocks. The greater your weight, the lower your IQ, say scientists
Dr Maxime Cournot, who headed the study, suggested that hormones secreted from fats could have a damaging effect on cerebral cells, resulting in decreased brain function. "Another explanation could be that since obesity is a widely known cardiovascular risk factor, due to the thickening and hardening of the blood vessels, that the same happens with the arteries in the brain," said Dr Cournot, an assistant professor in clinical epidemiology at Toulouse University Hospital.
Pffft! What reason does this French university give for their "yellow stripe"?
But Ann Widdecombe, the former Tory minister, said that the research seemed unsustainable. "You just need to look around the world and you will see hundreds of thin nitwits and clever fat people," said Ms Widdecombe, who lost two stone when taking part in the television show Celebrity Fit Club. "When I lost weight it was my waistline that improved, not my cerebellum."
I haven't gotten any smarter, but then, I don't think I'm dumber either. H/T: Singular Values