Monday, August 21, 2006

The Axis of Evil

In recent weeks, many things have occupied my time, and believe it or not, politics hasn't been the at the top of the list. I've been listening and watching, just like everyone else, the events unfolding in the Middle East: North Korea's missile tests, the war in Iraq, the war between Israel and Hezbollah, and of course, Iran's defiance of the rest of the world. I'm not going to say their defiance of the UN, because, let's be serious, NO ONE pays a bit of attention to what the UN says or does. I'll repeat myself: That is the most useless body in the world! I'm starting to wonder if, we, as a nation are strong enough to defeat a nuclear Iran, or if we even have the will. I watched President Bush and Secretary of State Rice stand firm with Israel, then do an about face, and support a useless UN resolution. Needless to say, I'm extremely disappointed. The Iran funded terrorist group, Hezbollah, is not going to quietly go away, and I thought they both understood this, hence, the disappointment. However, it isn't just Iran we have to worry about. It's every radical Muslim we need to watch, and not just in Muslim countries. As was evident just last week in Great Britain, we'll we be targeted by "home grown" Muslims as well, which includes many converts. John Walker Lindh comes to mind. Am I bigoted against Muslims in general? I sure don't want to be, but it's getting harder to keep an open mind. I'm all for "profiling" in not only airports, but in every day life, all over the world. Let's face it, they don't like us. They want us dead. I don't want them to get their wish. So, I'd like to ask the President, and his administration to do whatever it takes to keep us safe. When it comes right down to it, we may have a few allies in the war on terror (the UN is NOT one of them), but we'll end up standing alone when push comes to shove.