Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Interesting Interview

Here is an interview with Steve Emerson with Bill Steigerwald that I found extremely interesting. Tidbits:
Q: How is the war against terrorism going in the United States? A: I think it's going pretty well, insofar as the FBI and other law-enforcement agencies have interdicted various operations and infiltrated terrorist groups. It's taken a while -- close to five years -- but we've not been hit and most of the cases that have been brought have shown the ability of the FBI to get on the inside of these groups.
And:
Q: What is your major criticism of the war against terrorism? A: In general, I'm a bit concerned about the degree to which there is a legitimization of radical Islamic groups that operate under a false veneer as either civil rights groups or advocacy groups. I think that undermines legitimate moderates in the Muslim community. Q: That's one of the complaints you made when I talked to you in 2004. A: There's still a bureaucratic impulse to engage in the "Kumbaya" dance and embrace groups that should not be legitimized.
I love optimism!