Monday, October 23, 2006

This Explains a Lot!

Eating veg keeps memory loss at bay
Eating just three portions of greens a day can keep memory loss at bay, research shows. A study found that pensioners who eat at least three helpings of vegetables a day are as mentally alert as someone five years younger. Green, leafy vegetables, such as spinach and lettuce are particularly good at keeping the mind sharp. Fruit, however, does not have the same effect. It is thought vitamin E, found in vegetables in high levels, is key to staving off memory loss and keeping the mind alert into old age.
I like veggies, but you actually have to buy them, and prepare them for them to do any good. Since I am not domestic, whatsoever, I guess I'll just have to eat out more.
While it is not clear why fruit isn't similarly beneficial, it is thought the high levels of vitamin E found in vegetables could be key.
Why can't I just take vitamin E pills? Might as well, and add just one more to the handful I have to take already!
Keeping physically active is also important, with people in their late 40s and early 50s halving their risk of developing dementia by exercising at least twice a week.
I'm screwed!