Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Earmarks! (Update)

Owen...correction....Wendy, at Boots & Sabers has an excellent post on the special earmarks our so called "representatives" keep sneaking into bills to be voted on. My first memory of such wasteful spending was a long time ago. I remember reading in the Daily Press about funding that had been provided for a study concerning the habits of salmon, specifically, why they swim upstream. Since I was in the 8th or 9th grade, my take on such things weren't extremely formed yet. My first thought, "Who cares!", and the second, "Why on earth would the government fund such a project?" I asked my dad about this and his response was "Who the hell knows!" Well, that's stuck with me for many, MANY years, and I'm still asking the question of why the gub'mint would provide that sort of funding when OUR money could be used for much more appropriate projects, which would NOT include a "bridge to nowhere" or a "rainforest" in Iowa. I'll say again.... Owen is one smart cookie! :) And Wendy is even smarter! :)