Sunday, May 28, 2006

Memorial Day

When I go to bed tonight, I have two specific soldiers I will be saying prayers for... LCPL Alexander Mauro, a Marine stationed at Camp Falluja, Iraq, and 1LT Naquava Nichols, U.S. Army, stationed in Kuwait. I "adopted" both of these brave young soldiers a few months ago, and correspond with them as often as their duties will allow. These are the 5th and 6th of my "adoptees" and I don't feel like I do enough for them. The Marines want American made cigarettes, socks, any kind of food that isn't from the chow hall. Basically, Alexander speaks for the rest of his unit through our emails, but unfortunately, because of where they are, they can't give any personal information, so I don't know a great deal about them, other than the fact they all have a great sense of humor. Naquava asks for books and DVD's for her troops. I've never met these young people face to face, and don't really have to, although it would be nice. I have a picture of Naquava on my wall (pretty girl, hoping to be with her fiance', Mike soon) and look at it every time I get an email from her, or a not needed "thank you" note from her. She'll be returning to Ft. Hood in either September or November (leave it to the Army to not be able to make up it's mind) and I have full intention of being there to greet her, some how or another! One of my first "adoptees" is still in Killeen (for those not familiar with Texas, it's right by Ft. Hood). He and his wife have become good friends, and I visit them every time I'm in that vicinity. So, getting on the post shouldn't be a major problem. :) I hope! The reason I bring this up? Yes, tomorrow we honor those who have fallen, but we should also give great honor to those who are serving right now on our behalf. I am grateful for my dad, who was burned so bad during World War II, he was no longer able to have children, yet still a handsome man. This was the reason I was adopted myself, along with 3 others. These men and women sacrifice in many ways, and it always seems to be in the giving mode. Yes, many have died in ugly wars, but many more have lived to make a difference in the world, in small ways and large. I thank God everyday, not just on Memorial Day, that there are such men and women in our country!