Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Conscience Clause

Once again, Owen Robinson has put things into perspective, at least for me. The conscious Clause allows an employee the ability to refuse a particular service if it violates his/her religious beliefs. But I learned from his commentary, things aren't always what they seem, and there can be consequences. I'm all for the "conscience clause". I don't think anyone should be forced to perform a service that goes against his deeply held faith. But like Owen states:
This obligation of the employee does not change when the employee is a doctor. If the doctor has agreed to work at a hospital where all doctors are expected to perform abortions or euthanasia, then that doctor is obligated by the terms of employment to perform those procedures.
So, if you go for a job that involves some task that you are unable to perform, make sure you have this out in the open before you even consider accepting employment with the company. Perhaps I haven't stated this very well, so I would suggest reading Owen's piece.