Thursday, June 29, 2006

Day 3

Day 3 – Cozumel

We have arrived in Cozumel. And the whining has already begun. This is NOT a morning person, but so far, I've managed to refrain from tossing her overboard. I'm soooo proud. :/ For the life of me, I can't imagine where she got that from... couldn't be me, or her mother. Nooooooo... of course not! :)

We're back from our excursion and I have to say, it was quite disappointing. We went to an archaeological site that my husband and I had visited previously and found impressive. This time, however, even with a tour guide, we didn't even get to see a small fraction of the site. We would have been better off just hiring a guide on shore, at least we could have stayed at the site for more than 30 minutes. The guide was a major talker, and most of how he spoke to the group, like we were all imbeciles, was extremely annoying. Yes, we had all heard of Coca Cola and St. Louis. YEESH!

Naturally, shopping was involved after the excursion. And once again, I didn't charge anything. I honestly couldn't find anything that I just couldn't live without. No jewelry, which should make my husband ecstatic. :) Not even a tshirt, and for me, with the major tshirt collection, that is a bloomin' miracle.

One thing I saw that was heartbreaking, was the devastation left by Hurrican Wilma. The trees are starting to grow back, and the town has rebuilt for the most part, but you can tell it's just not the same. Away from the major population, many houses are just wiped out, with slow recovery. There use to be a large fruit bat population, now, they are no more. Completely gone. What I saw today proves people are resilient. Since tourism is their only industry, I guess they'd have to be, wouldn't they.

The one thing I don't like about Cozumel are the vendors. I tend to buy less when they try to drag you into their shops. “Lady, come see! Good price for you today!” Criminy, I guess we're all suppose to be totally dense. :/ One vendor said it plain... “Plenty good Mexican junk, come see!” Can't beat that! LOL So, I got the kid an outfit she really wanted. It's a red, green and white skirt and top. She looks like a short Mexican flag. But hey, I'm not the one who has to wear it, right? :)

I don't usually complain about humidity, but I gotta say, this beats all I've ever experienced. Everytime I step out on the veranda to smoke, my glasses become useless for actually seeing. Major fog alert! Even the mirrors in the cabin get totally fogged. Can there be 200% humidity?

Day 3 – Finale

At this present moment, I can say I've seen it all. Picture one Captain Hook, one Sneed, one Stitch, one Goofy and a few other cast of characters doing the Hustle and the Robot. I wish I had taken my camera up to the 9th deck where such a party was going on, ya couldn't even move. Mickey Mouse comes sliding down and sets off fireworks. Odds are, I'll never see anything quite like that again in my life. I hope! LOL