Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The Economy

I had a rare lengthy conversation with my son in law the other night over tamales, queso, guacamole and beans and rice, talk turned to economy. He's 31, has a wife (my daughter obviously), 2 daughters, a new car, a new/used truck and a good job. His argument? The economy is much worse than it was under Clinton. My jaw dropped! He did save himself from my wrath by admitting that the only reason the 90's were so prosperous was due to the policies of President Reagan. Then, came the '“but'”. "“But, the unemployment rate is a lot highter now than when Clinton was in office!"” I nearly fell off my chair. I asked him where he got that tidbit of information. "“Well,"” he responds, "“it was on the news."” He couldn't remember which station where this jewel of wisdom was espoused. I guess the 'alphabets' all run together. I told him the unemployment rate is at 4.1. I was wrong. The old gray cells must have been on hiatus. It's actually 4.7, under Clinton, it was 5.6. My son in law thinks I'm "bad mouthing" him. Nope, not at all. Just pointing out when you depend on the main stream media for all your information, sometimes, ya just get it wrong! No fault of his, it's the faulty, slanted reporting.