Saturday, July 22, 2006

Eagles vs Babies

While snooping through the blogs as I'm want to do when I should be in bed, asleep, I came across Modern Commentaries, which led me to The Lair of the Catholic Cavemen, which in turn, led me to an article, "Imposing Our Beliefs" on Others by Rev. Tadeusz Pacholczyk. I was most impressed with his commentary, but the one thing that stood out among the rest was this:
During my testimony, I pointed out how in the United States we have stringent federal laws that protect not only the national bird, the bald eagle, but also that eagle's eggs. If you were to chance upon some of them in a nest out in the wilderness, it would be illegal for you to destroy those eggs. By the force of law, we recognize how the egg of the bald eagle, that is to say, the embryonic eagle inside that egg, is the same creature as the glorious bird that we witness flying high overhead. Therefore we pass laws to safeguard not only the adult but also the very youngest member of that species. Even atheists can see how a bald eagle's eggs should be protected; it's really not a religious question at all. What's so troublesome is how we are able to understand the importance of protecting the earliest stages of animal life but when it comes to our own human life, a kind of mental disconnect takes place. Our moral judgement quickly becomes murky and obtuse when we desire to do certain things that are not good, like having abortions, or destroying embryonic humans for their stem cells.
Yet we can't do the same for the preborn. What does that say about us as a society?