Friday, July 21, 2006

Interesting Afternoon

I worked the Fond du Lac County GOP booth this afternoon at the fair. Needless to say, we had a few people who just can't resist starting a "discussion". One of the most entertaining was a lady who couldn't help spouting what she heard on the "news" as the gospel truth. "It was on the news, it must be true. I heard it on TV, they wouldn't lie." She never could tell me exactly which news or who it was who said things, but it had to be true, because she heard it. For what seemed like an hour, but my husband said was only 20 minutes, we had a "discussion". She doesn't like Bush. Big surprise. Me: Why? Her: Because he lied. Me: What did he lie about? Her: You know, those things that weren't found. I'm assuming she meant the WMDs. Her: He flat out lied. In that speech. You know the one. Me: The State of the Union? Her: Yeah, that's the one. Me: Did you listen to the speech? Her: No, I don't like him. Me: Then how do you know he lied in that speech? Her: Cuz they said so on the news. Me: Are you aware they've actually found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq? Her: No they didn't. Me: Yep, they did. They found mustard and serin gas. Her: I would have heard it on the news. This conversation went on forever. The topic changed from time to time, but the results were the same. Then we got to the current situation with Israel and the terrorists. Her: Everyone hates the Jews. Me: Why is that? Her: Because they do. They use pencils. (Yes, my reaction was the same.... HUH?) Me: Because they use pencils? Why is that a reason to hate Jews? Her: Because they use pencils. (again with the pencils) Me: I don't understand, what does using a pencil have to to do hating anyone? Her: Well, the Germans hate the Jews because they used pencils in WWII. (I maintained my composure, at great expense. I think my head was close to exploding. I left the booth with a headache the size of Texas.)