Friday, June 23, 2006

The Big Trip – Day 1

Murphy's Law: If anything can go wrong, it can and will! Of course it will! I asked for a wake up call, and naturally, I don't get it. I opened my eyes, saw the clock and panicked. I was suppose to be at my daughter's house by 8:30. It was 8. I impressed myself by actually checking out of the hotel at 8:30. No doubt my husband would have been extremely impressed as well, since it usually takes me about 2 hours just to get both eyes open. I managed to get a shower and get dressed in record time. No make-up of course, cuz when you get right down to it, who am I trying to impress on this trip? So, I'm rushing, thinking they'll be waiting at the car, ready to load my last suitcase in the trunk. Wrong! I had to hunt her down. No, not really, my son in law was coming out to put something in his truck so I didn't have to lug my carry on's in the house. I wonder why I had to rush, when they were taking their time? He had to be at work by 10 and still drop his truck off to get new tires. Yep, I'm in a frazzle, and they're all calm with the oh well attitude YEESH. Naw, it wasn't that bad, just seemed that way. We finally get on the road to go to DFW. Traffic is what it usually is at that time of the day, large pockets of congestion on LBJ. Luckily, I was sitting in the back seat, so I didn't have to see how many cars my son in law nearly hit getting us to the airport with the required time to spare. What's the point of being 2 hours early anyway? Hurry up and wait. We did manage to have breakfast, which was pretty good. Unfortunately, I managed to get the airline wrong, so we had to walk from one end of the terminal to the other, after we stood in line for 10 minutes before I looked at the printout. :/ My daughter is now convinced I'm senile. She might be right! The plane was suppose to take off at noon. No such luck. This isn't like Milwaukee, when it seems that every plane takes off and lands exactly when they say it will. The is a medium sized city they call an airport. Truthfully, I don't think I'm going to recommend this airline. Boarding was a joke. Does it really take 10 minutes for 3 rows to board? I don't think so, but evidently, they do. At 12:30, we were still sitting at the gate. I wonder what their on time percentage is, probably not very high. We finally get in the air at 1:00, and I'm already praying to fall asleep, just like my hiney has on this extremely hard seat! Looking back, the people working on the flight were terrific, the airline sucks!