Sunday, June 11, 2006

Voter Suppression

I've been snooping some of the "lefty" blogs (yes, I'm a glutton for punishment) and came across some interesting tidbits on the GOP suppression of voters (jaw drop). At issue was the idea of using the last 4 digits of your social security number. Excuse me, but this doesn't make a bit of sense to me. Let's say I stroll up to register to vote, I don't have a picture I.D. and I really want to vote. I just give the person a 4 digit number. I can pull one out of thin air, because of course, I don't carry my S.S. card around with me.... someone might steal it, and then where would I be? Is someone going to check to make sure that number actually belongs to me? Do they have computers set up at every polling place in Wisconsin so they can check on this? I know they don't in Waupun, I don't know about other towns, but my guess is no, they don't. How many social security numbers end with the same 4 digits? Personal opinion: No more registering at the polls. This would give the powers that be the time to verify the voters information. ALL voters must present a picture I.D. AND, you must be able to prove citizenship BEFORE registering. Naturally, you must have a working knowledge of the language. (How can you vote if you don't know what the issues are?) Now, go ahead "anonymous", tell me what a horrid person I am! :)